Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2007
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Kilkenny Castle

August 9, 2001
Kilkenny, County Kilkenny, Ireland

prev next

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0413.JPG

Kilkenny Castle started as a typical Norman structure with a wooden tower. The motte and bailey was built in 1172 by Richard de Clare, Strongbow. The stone castle was started in 1192 by William Marshall, Strongbow's son-in-law. Three of the four towers are incorporated into the current structure.

The James Butler purchased the domain in 1391 and proceeded to build a strong power base in the area. Kilkenny was occupied by the Butlers until 1935. Major restoration and updating started in the 1826.

In 1967, was given to the city for a token 50 pounds.